- Spring 2013 update
- IDOT to close lanes overnight on I-55/I-70
- llinois DOT schedules ramp closures until early 2013
- PSB Consultant briefing - ppt
- Updates (March 2013) : DBE Subcontract list; Overall workforce data
- All MRB public tours are full -- click here for options
- Poplar Street Bridge ramp project
Construction work on the Mississippi River Bridge project has begun.The new Mississippi River Bridge is the first bridge built connecting downtown St. Louis and southwestern Illinois in more than 40 years. Currently, the only urban interstate bridge between Illinois and Missouri is the Poplar Street Bridge, known locally as the PSB. The PSB is one of two bridges in the United States that carry three interstates. By relocating one interstate (I-70) from the Poplar Street Bridge to the new Mississippi River Bridge, drivers will experience less congestion, fewer crashes and less unnecessary fuel use. Learn about the project, and stay up-to-date by checking this site regularly and subscribing to our e-mail updates and social networking tools. The bridge should be open to traffic in 2014.
- March 31, 2013: Work continues to install the driving surface and the cables on the main span. More than half of the cables have been installed on the project. The roadway between the bridge and the Missouri Approach was connected in early March. The roadway between the bridge and the Illinois Approach connected in mid-March. There is about a 300-foot gap in the roadway between the two towers and engineers estimate that the roadway will meet in the middle of the river in late June or July.
- The Missouri Approach is complete.
- Construction work for the Illinois Approach is proceeding well. The driving surface is nearly complete.
March 31, 2013: Work continues well on the Missouri North interchange. Crews are building retaining walls and support structures on the east side of I-70 for the ramps and bridges for the new interchange with I-70. In addition, workers are placing girders and panels for the ramps and bridges over I-70.
Crews are also rebuilding the ramp from westbound I-70 to Madison Street. That ramp has opened to general traffic; however, it closes weekdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for construction.
March 31, 2013: Crews have almost finished constructing the curved bridge over the railroad tracks and have started work to paint it. The 1st Street Bridge is essentially complete. Work continues on the Illinois Route 3 interchange bridges. Structural steel has been placed on those projects.
March 31, 2013: Work continues on the relocated I-70 bridges, with crews driving piling for the eastbound bridges. On 9th and 10th Street, crews are grading for the new roundabout at St. Clair Avenue and working on the new entrance ramp from Baugh Avenue to I-55/I-70.
The Mississippi River Bridge team is offering limited monthly public tours for the river bridge project. At this time, all public tours are full. Reservations for the tour are required and will be taken on a first come, first served basis. For more details on other tour options, please click here.